[ale] Mindspring Question for you guys

Transam bob at verysecurelinux.com
Wed Apr 9 01:52:16 EDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 08:57:43PM -0400, Steven A. DuChene wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 11:20:14PM -0500, Jeb W. Barger wrote:

> > Mindspring cable has moved into my area, and I was curious if Mindspring
> > does any port restrictions (POP, SMTP, WWW, etc) ?  Hopefully not, but I
> > need to ask before I switch for RoadRunner (who is now charging for
> > monthly bandwidth overage.  They only give you 40gigs a month)..

> > Thanks and let me know,

> > Jeb

> I don't know about the Mindspring cable service but for dial-up users they
> do block outgoing port 25 stuff so you HAVE to send outgoing E-mail through
> their mail servers. Not sure if they restrict incoming connections like
> port 80 to your box but I'm betting they do.

All residential ISPs force outgoing mail through their servers to filter
spam.  This is because those that don't get blackholed.  They don't block
legitimate mail.

This is different than sleazy ISPs (such as, ahem, AT&T Boredband that
filtered mail to one's home port 80 in the name of virus filtering).

> --
> Steven A. DuChene     linux-clusters at mindspring.com
>                       sduchene at mindspring.com

Bob