[ale] Saving on Microsoft licenses

Transam bob at verysecurelinux.com
Tue Apr 8 16:27:33 EDT 2003

This site has practical advice on how to reduce license upgrade fees
from Microsoft and others:

     http://security.ittoolbox.com/news/dispnews.asp?i=91271

The gist of it is:

  1. Analyze what programs each of your users use.  At many companies
     most users only use a few programs.  Purchase only what is needed.
     Selective purchases often are substantially less expensive than
     purchasing a complete Office suite for every PC.

  2. Shop aggressively and insist on better prices on commodity products.

Also ...

MICROSOFT SECURITY STILL BOTHERS USERS (Security News)
A new report claims that nearly three-quarters of IT managers do not
trust Microsoft's software to be secure, despite the fact that nine
out of 10 admit using it to run mission-critical applications....
http://security.ittoolbox.com/news/nr.asp?i=91030

That survey was of 35 IT managers of billion dollar companies.

We always are available for your computer/network security, routing,
and Linux/UNIX system administration requirements.

Best regards,

Bob Toxen, CTO
Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.
"Your expert in Firewalls, Virus and Spam Filters, VPNs,
Network Monitoring, and Network Security consulting"
bob at verysecurelinux.com (e-mail)

Talks this year that I'm giving on Linux security:
  at IBM's Linux Competency Center in New York City on March 6
  at the "Real World Linux" conference in Toronto on April 30.

Author,
"Real World Linux Security: Intrusion Detection, Prevention, and Recovery"
2nd Ed., Prentice Hall, (C) 2003, 848 pages, ISBN: 0130464562