[ale] x prob.

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Tue Apr 8 12:36:57 EDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 08:19:45AM -0700, Herman, Izzie wrote:
> Here's what I'm getting...and it just hangs after this:
[snip]

This might be caused by a very restrictive firewall on the remote.  When
you connect via ssh and request X forwarding, the ssh daemon on the
remote will create a kind of dummy X server which listens for X
connections.  By default, this dummy server will listen on port 6010,
and will only accept connections from the localhost (i.e., 127.0.0.1 on
the remote).  If the firewall on the remote is blocking these
connections, that might cause the ssh daemon to hang.  Other than that,
I don't know what else could cause this.  Can you run "xauth list" on
the remote?

Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9