[ale] x prob.

Jason Day jasonday at worldnet.att.net
Tue Apr 8 10:55:34 EDT 2003

On Tue, Apr 08, 2003 at 10:39:54AM -0400, Jerry Z. Yu wrote:
> Two 'security setting' may be in your way
> 1) personal firewall (ipchains/iptables) blocked incoming TCP request to
> port 6000
> 2)  X is configured to not to listen to TCP requests at all.

Debian does #2 by default.  If you really don't want to use ssh, you
will need to tell X to listen for TCP connections and restart it.  How
you do this depends on how you start X.  If you boot to a console and
type "startx", then you can do this by copying the file
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc to your home directory and prepend a
dot: ~/.xserverrc .  Edit this file and remove the "-nolisten tcp".
Then restart X.

If you use gdm, run gdmconfig as root, click the Expert option, click
the "X-server setup" tab, hilight the "Standard server" command, then
click the "Edit server" button.  Remove the "-nolisten tcp", save, OK,
exit, restart gdm.

I don't know about kdm or xdm.

Having said all that, I would strongly recommend you use ssh if at all
possible.

HTH,
Jason

    -- Weyoun-6, Star Trek: Deep Space 9