[ale] [OT] How come I can't purchase this domain?

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Mon Apr 7 20:12:46 EDT 2003

On Sun, Apr 06, 2003 at 11:26:34PM -0400, Christopher Bergeron wrote:

> The whois record for a domain that I'd like reads:

> | Record last updated on 2000-08-01 07:31:11.717
> | Record created on 2000-08-01 07:29:39.327
> | Record expires on 2002-08-01 07:29:39.390
> |
> | Domain servers in listed order:
> |    ns2.sisna.com   209.210.176.9
> |    ns1.sisna.com   209.210.176.8
> |
> | Registration Service Provider: Sisna, Inc

> So, I'm thinking it's some obscure registrar that hasn't released the
> record... Is this possible?  Can I call my domain registrar and have
> them "take" this domain if it's expired?

> I don't know what to do...   I'm temped to call the registrar and ask
> about it, but then they'll know that I want the domain and they could
> "squat" it.

Verify that it's expired, i.e., not owned by anyone else (other than a
dishonest Registrar).  (Taking someone else's domain is cracking.)

Than select a Registrar that does a "Take".  I've had good luck with
enom.com doing this.  Then set up an account and do a Take.  They'll send
email to the official owner asking for permission to Take.  No response
is interpreted as "Ok".

If the old Registrar fights it, tell 'em to release it or you'll lodge
a complaint with (research required) seeking to get them decertified as
a Registrar for fraud.

Set "Registrar Lock" ASAP.

> Anyone have any insight?

> - -CB