[ale] [OT] How come I can't purchase this domain?

Mike Lockhart backpacker at hikers.net
Mon Apr 7 13:47:15 EDT 2003

I hate to sound like a killjoy, but when it comes to domains, the
consumer is at the will of the registrars.  If a domain has NOT been
released, there is absolutely nothing you can do until it is released.
Secondly, the while "back-order" system that some registrars are using
is really just a scam to get more $$$ from unwitting consumers.  If you
backorder a domain, most registrars charge you anywhere from $2-$10 to
get on the backorder list, and that money is non-refundable.  So if 300
people back-order a domain, well, you do the math.  Point being, don't
bother back-ordering a domain.

My recommendation is to use DirectNIC for your domain registrations.
Not because they're the cheapest, but because they have the most safety
nets setup for their customers and are damn honest.  I should know, i
used to work there. ;)  These guys will go head to head with VeriSuck
when VeriSuck tries to steal a domain/customer. (very common occurance)

Just my $0.02

- mike