[ale] ALE Central Meeting for 4/10: The Oracle Speaks

aaron aaron at pd.org
Sat Apr 5 20:36:04 EST 2003

The bad news reached us last Wednesday that the SuSE band will
not be marching into any Atlanta meetings this month due to fears
raised by the U.S. military marching into Iraq.

The good news is that we received an email the same day from
Oracle with date requests for some generous presentation offers
they had extended to us in January.

So Chaos has decided and the Oracle shall speak... when Mr.
Todd Tichler and Mr. Sunil Mushran of Oracle travel to Atlanta
to provide the main presentation for our ALE Central meeting on
Thursday, April 10, at 7:30pm!

Sunil Mushran is a member of Oracle's Linux Development Team and will
be speaking about the Oracle Clustering File System for the Linux kernel:
---
OCFS is a clustered file system written at Oracle for the Linux kernel (as a
file system module), and released under the GNU GPL. The presentation will
describe the basics of OCFS, process architecture, disk layout, advantages
of extent based systems and locking strategies. Lay out the reasoning behind
our design choices, what we've learned from those, and future OCFS
improvements.

Sunil is a 9 year veteran at Oracle. He started working on Linux
when he joined a small group in the company which had the task to build
the New Internet Computer, a Linux-based web appliance. Since 2001, he has
been working on the Oracle Cluster File System on Linux.
---
An added bonus is that everyone attending this presentation will receive a
CD package of Oracle's Linux database and Open Source development tools.
The software can be used freely for personal, non-profit and development
applications or easily licensed for commercial use.

Additional details can be found at the 'Oracle on Linux' resources site:
  http://otn.oracle.com/linux

Also note that our generous friends from Oracle are planing to visit ALE
again on May 15th to offer a second presentation at the North West meeting.

A note that the Tip Jar segment is still open for this month; if anyone has a
Linux convenience or "stoopid emac trick" they would like to share with the
group for 5 or 10 minutes, please respond privately to aaron at pd.org.
:-)
And finally, we politely ask that all ALE members honor LUG rule #2
and refrain from abusing the OCFS acronym in any way...
 ...if anybody's watching...
:-)

Thanks for your attention!
Hope to see you at the meeting on Thursday!

peace
Aaron Ruscetta
Associate Central Meeting Coordinator