[ale] [OT] White flag

hbbs at attbi.com hbbs at attbi.com
Thu Apr 3 08:51:17 EST 2003

Is the distinction being made here one of writing cost-per-license software for
MS platforms and writing Open Source software?  If so, then I don't think it's a
very fair comparison because they are not the same job, even though the task
looks the same.

If you're coding cost-per-license software, you are essentially being paid on
spec, i.e., the revenue from the licenses is supposed to backfill what you were
being paid.  On the other hand, if you're coding Open Source software, that
stream isn't going to exist, but you would instead be being paid either on spec
out of money that comes from some service that the software provides, even if
indirectly.

Here's an example of a situation that I myself had to consider a couple years
back.  Suppose you're working on an document imaging project and there's a brand
new scanner on the market that you want to utilize, and you've decided to go the
Linux route on the scanning platform (one reason one might be driven to do this
is because you need to have a large number of scanners running in parallel and
you don't want to have the overhead {admin or $$} of a large number of M$
licenses).  If you want to use that scanner and no pre-existing SANE driver
exists, then you get to be the one who writes it.  So, you hire a programmer to
work up a driver for you, expecting to GPL the driver and give it back to the
community.

I see nothing wrong with this.  You pay the programmer based on the revenue
generated by the commercial demand for your document imaging services, not
directly from revenue generated by selling the software.  The work is not
time-indefinite; it's finished when the driver works to your satisfaction.

- Jeff