[ale] OT: OLE objects to image (for a good cause)?

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Wed Apr 2 23:39:40 EST 2003

Working on converting this *!@$#@ Visual Basic app to PHP/Postgresql and
I've run into a snag.  The old app allowed a user to paste ole objects
into a form, and the form would turn around and store it into the Sql
Server database in a column of typ e "image".  So, for example, they could
select clip art in a Word document, copy it with ctrl-c, and then paste it
into an OLE container control in the legacy app.

So, I have to figure out a way of taking these stored OLE objects and
converting them to images (jpg, gif, etc?).

I'm assuming the easiest way to do this will be to write a tool in VB.
While I know VB well enough to know I hate it, and to design (if that's
what you can call it in vb) a relatively decent app, I'm not at all
familiar with OLE objects, and if/how they're convertable to images.

Anyone have any pointers on how to go about this?

Thanks!
John