[ale] Sandisk

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Wed Apr 2 21:48:56 EST 2003

Christopher, ALErs -

On 26 Mar 2003, Christopher Fowler wrote:

> Its nice to know that the Sandisk works under Linux.  I'm pulling
> pictures off of it now.  I have a question in regards to making it
> automountable.  I've tried a few tricks modifying autofs but, when I
> insert my CF, I still have to manually mount.  Anyone have some pointers
> for me?

What Sandisk are you using? I have a model SDDR-05 without an eject
button. This seems to mean it's not the SDDR-05a.

I use it on an iMac and a M$Win98SE box. Instructions for the iMac have me
drag the desktop icon to 'Trash' at which point I get a splash saying I
may safely remove the card. Sandisk's FAQ suggests using the 'eject'
command in M$Win to avoid corruption of files on the card when it is
removed. Sandisk's web info identifies only the SDDR-31 and SDDR-33 as
compatible with Linux

Bottom line: anyone know if I can use this SDDR-05 safely with Linux, and
are there precautions I should take before removing the card (i.e.,
'umount')?

TIA.

 John Mills
 john.m.mills at alum.mit.edu