[ale] OT: White flag drops and the fight continues

David S. Jackson dsj at sylvester.dsj.net
Wed Apr 2 14:37:02 EST 2003

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 02:28:39PM -0500 Bob Toxen <bob at verysecurelinux.com> wrote:
> Ok, how DO I configure X on my Slackware 8.1 system?  I don't know
> the card's specs and don't have the manual for the used IBM monitor
> (19", I think)?  (I do have recent Mandrake CDs around but no disk
> space to do a temporary Mandrake install to steal its X config file.)

Before you get too far into XFree86 4.1, you might want to upgrade to
9.0, which comes with XFree86 4.3 and Gnome 2.  I think Slack 8.1 comes
with Gnome 1.4.  Lotsa changes with Gnome 2; several packages won't work
with the new libs, like galeon, evolution, and a coupla others I think.
I think there are some workarounds explained on the gnome site, though.

Also, there's a sweet little things called Dropline Gnome you might want
to check out, once you get X up and going.
http://www.dropline.net/gnome/.  It's a Gnome 2 installation customized
for Slack 8.1 up to 9.0 and -current systems.  You have to download a
script called the dropline-installer.  Seems to work pretty well.  It
gives you Mozilla 1.3, and lotsa gnome 2 apps.

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net