[ale] Servlets Vs. Perl

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Mon Sep 30 14:11:23 EDT 2002

>     Mike> 3) I find the object oriented nature of Java to better lend
> Mike> itself to code organization and code reuse, so I end up
>     Mike> being more efficient.
>
>         Get Damian Conway's _Object Oriented Perl_.

Not to start a holy war here, but perl has some of the ugliest OO syntax
I've seen.  Java OOP results in cleaner code, for the most part.  Perl OOP
always feels like it's held together with a bunch of scotch tape.

In addition, freedom is not always a good thing.  Common practice in perl
is to mix oo and non-oo code together, resulting in a confusing mix of
methodologies.  Java forces your hand...

Of course, efforts can be made to keep the perl code maintainable and
consistent, but in my experience this is rarely done.

OTOH, perl is much faster to implement.  I can whip something up in perl,
test it, promote it, and get it into production in a fraction of the time
the same app would take in java.

My two cents.
John