[ale] Servlets Vs. Perl

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Mon Sep 30 13:56:14 EDT 2002

>>>>> "cfowler" == cfowler  <cfowler at outpostsentinel.com> writes:

    cfowler> I have a flame war I want to start.  I have been using
    cfowler> perl to test some of my C code.  I see all the goodies
    cfowler> that one can do with perl in a CGI environment.  What is
    cfowler> the real benefit of perl over Java or Java over perl when
    cfowler> it comes to web apps?  It seems like you can do much what
    cfowler> Java can do in perl.

    Well, no suprise for regular readers which I'm going to come out
for on this one . . . :)

    I've done both (granted most of the Java stuff was aeons ago, but
I did contribute several chapters to one of those Sams _Java
Unleashed_ monstrosities), but I do perl now.

        Some good arguments from another Perl person (Michael Schwern,
who's been heading up the revamping of many of the Test:: modules)
against Java (in general, not specifically Java for web but germaine
none the less):

http://magnonel.guild.net/~schwern/papers/Why_I_Am_Not_A_Java_Programmer/why.html

        I would also point out that if you're serious about perl in a
web context you're not going to be using CGI but mod_perl.  This is
more akin to a Java servlet model than CGI (of course you're coupled
tightly to Apache, whereas the servlet API is more generic; whether
that's a pro or a con depends on ones point of view :).  Some concrete
numbers (after a fashion) comparing several different options for
Apache are available at: http://www.chamas.com/bench/.

770 933-0600 x211(w)  |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=
770 294-0820 (m)      |                                               U