[ale] Mandrake 9.0

Stuffed Crust pizza at shaftnet.org
Sat Sep 28 14:19:49 EDT 2002

On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 10:51:24AM -0400, Benjamin Scherrey wrote:
> I've been trying to find an open ftp site to d/l it since its announcement with no luck. Mandrake 9
> seems to be the first dsitribution to ship with the new gcc 3.x compiler as the system compiler. I'm
> curious as to whether they've dropped the python 1.5 from being a requirement (RedHay ships with
> python 2.x as python2 making python 1.5 be the default python executable - a completely useless
> and troublesome hack). That damned gcc 2.96 has been no end of trouble for me and makes
> linking to the shipped KDE libs impossible with a good compiler. I'm looking to jump off RedHat for
> good after all the trouble they've given me... and I really used to like them.

Note that all of your complaints (with the possible exception of python)
also apply to Mandrake 8.x.  So I'm really not sure exactly why you're
directing your angst towards RedHat..

Meanwhile, the python2 vs 1.5 is really quite simple.  If they were to
have made python2 the default in a minor release, they would have broken
application binary compatibility, which is a no-no across minor
releases.

Meanwhile RH8 will be coming out on Monday, and that'll also feature
gcc 3.2.. making the mirror sites even more overloaded, so you'd better
find Mandrake 9.0 soon..

 - Pizza
--
Solomon Peachy                                   pizza at f*cktheusers.org
I'm not broke, but I'm badly bent.                         ICQ #1318344

 PGP signature