[ale] What is this telling me?

Chris Ricker kaboom at gatech.edu
Sat Sep 28 11:08:49 EDT 2002

On Sat, 28 Sep 2002, Keith Hopkins wrote:

> tfreeman at intel.digichem.net wrote:
> > I installed RH 7.3, configured, and so forth and started finding the
> > following in the log report.
> >
> >  ---------------- Connections (secure-log) Begin -------------------
> >
> > **Unmatched Entries**
> > xinetd[940]: START: sgi_fam pid=17773 from=<no address>
> >

> >  ----------------- Connections (secure-log) End --------------------
> >
> > What is going on? Please?
>
> sig_fam is SGI's File Alteration Monitor.  Are you running XFS?

Actually, it's used by GNOME (well, Nautilus), and it's independent of XFS.
The idea is basically this:  you're in a directory in Nautilus, and it's
displaying all the files in that directory.  In another terminal, you touch
a new file in that directory.  Do you have to hit refresh in Nautilus to see
that new file, or does it automagically refresh itself to display it?

If you have sgi_fam running, Nautilus should automagically update when
external changes occur.  If you don't, it may or may not.

> Is portmap running? (it typically fails without portmap)

That's not a failure message.  That's logwatch saying it doesn't have a
match for that message....  Logwatch (the utility that shlupps through the
log files nightly and sends you interesting lines from them) works on a
negative match basis.  You create databases of expected lines, it
essentially grep -v's those lines out, then sends you what's left.  So,
everything you see as an "Unmatched Entry" are simply the log lines which it
didn't filter out....

AFAICT, everything looks normal here.  You've got sgi_fam running, and
you've got a program using it.  It'd be nice if the connecting address of
that program were logged (it's probably localhost), but that's a code
problem, not a configuration problem.

later,
chris