[ale] Auto Login

Christopher Bergeron christopher at bergeron.com
Wed Sep 25 15:42:29 EDT 2002

You can download mingetty with the autologin patch and install it.  It works great.  I use it to
log me into the dashpc (http://www.dashpc.com) automatically.  I'm running Redhat 7.3 as well and
I fire into X in my .bash_profile.  Here's the link to autologin mingetty:

 target="_blank">http://users.jagunet.com/~kodis/autologin/autologin.html

Try the following:
cd /tmp
wget <a
 href="ftp://ftp.jagunet.com/pub/users/kodis/mingetty-0.9.4+redhat-7.0+autologin.tar.gz"
 target="_blank">ftp://ftp.jagunet.com/pub/users/kodis/mingetty-0.9.4+redhat-7.0+autologin.tar.gz
tar xvfz mingetty(TAB)
cd mingetty(TAB)
./configure
make
make install

edit your /etc/inittab file change your mingetty lines to something like this:

# Run gettys in standard runlevels
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty --autologin root tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty5
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty6

[ change root to whatever luser you'd like ]

Reboot and watch your machine automagically log you in.

HTH,
CB

Geoffrey wrote:

Fulton Green wrote:
  GDM can be set up nowadays to autologin a specified
account (though that may
require an upgrade to GNOME 2, which will be in RH 8.0 next week). And I
think Mozilla can now run in full-screen mode if so desired.

Actually it's available in GNOME 1.4, here's an excerpt from  /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf

[daemon]
AutomaticLoginEnable=false
AutomaticLogin=

I've not used it but it appears pretty straight forward.