[ale] UDP over TCP?

Fletch fletch at phydeaux.org
Wed Sep 25 11:45:41 EDT 2002

    John> I have a need to get UDP packets through our company's
    John> firewall, which drops UDP by default.  I'd like to tunnel it
    John> through TCP, if possible.  Are there any tools that will
    John> allow you to do this?

        If you've got a socks proxy on the firewall and could point
your app at that that'd probably be the easiest thing.  Next easiest
would be to get the admin to open a hole in the firewall for your
specific app.

        Barring either of those two, you'd need to write your own
application level proxy that listens for the UDP packets, wraps them
up with some sort of framing mechanism, and drops them onto a TCP
stream.  The other end outside the firewall undoes the framing and
spits the UDP back out.  If you google for `UDP application proxy' you
might turn up something useful.

770 933-0600 x211(w)  |  scary questions." -- Jules                =(___)=
770 294-0820 (m)      |                                               U