[ale] suse? or slack?

Bob Kruger bkruger at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 23 22:44:36 EDT 2002

I've run both.  Both are good.

Suse is a little more sophisticated than Slack, but Slack is more
configurable and for the most part, if you like a straight forward setup
that is easy to fiddle with, it bears consideration.

Another pro of Slack is the easy manner in which you can download the
iso and have it ready for setup.  SUSE does not have this feature, so
you can either download a version that runs off the CD, buy the distro,
or hope you have the disk space and band width to download the entire
distro to a HD on your network and then loading it from there.  SUSE is
well thought out, though, and YAST (to me) was/is easy to run.

Now, if you want to run Oracle or some of the other databases other than
PgSQL and MySQL, then SUSE might be for you.

Best of luck.

Regards - Bob Kruger