[ale] mySQL

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Mon Sep 23 13:59:28 EDT 2002

This could be one reason....

>From mysql.com:

Compiler Advisory: Several of our users have reported random crashes and
table corruption with MySQL binaries compiled with gcc 2.96 on the x86
Linux platform. Although we were unable to duplicate the problems
ourselves or understand their exact cause, we suspect with a great degree
of confidence that the problem was compiler related. Replacing the faulty
binary with our binary always eliminated the problem.

We recommend that MySQL be compiled with gcc 2.95 if you have to compile
your own binary at all. It is also acceptable to compile it with gcc 2.91
- builds with these compilers have been tested extensively. We would
suggest, however, that you stay away from gcc 3.0 series until we have had
some time to do some more extensive testing.

The best solution in terms of stability and performance for most users is
to use our binary instead of compiling their own. Please visit
http://www.mysql.com/ to obtain an Official MySQL binary.

To determine if you should be concerned about this compiler issue, execute
gcc -v from the command prompt on your system. If the compiler reports
version 2.96, then there is a problem (this is the case, for example on RH
7.x series or Mandrake 8.x). In this case, you should not try to compile
your own binary before downgrading to one of the compilers mentioned
above. You should also NOT use the MySQL server provided with your
distribution -- as this copy of MySQL was compiled with the same
ill-advised compiler version.

The recommended solution in this case is to uninstall your distribution's
MySQL and replace it with the one of the MySQL binaries from
http://www.mysql.com/

John