[ale] AT&T cable access and outside port access

Steven A. DuChene linux-clusters at mindspring.com
Sun Sep 22 11:34:07 EDT 2002

I now have AT&T cable inet service and since I was bored today
I thought I would see if it is possible to access outside ports
on my firewall that I could port forward to an internal web server.
Does anyone using AT&T cable internet service have any access to
their system working from the outside world?

I was trying to port forward something like 8083 on my outside
system to port 80 on an internal system.

So far I have not had any luck so I'm wondering if AT&T Broadband
has some sort of general blocking setup somehow.

One thing I notice is that the broadcast address that gets set
on the outside interface of my firewall by their dhcp server
is a little unusual. Instead of something like:

192.168.28.255

it is:

255.255.255.255

Now the netmask that is set for this interface is 255.255.254.0

The network address is set looks correct so I'm wondering if the
unusual Bcast setting could have anything to do with this.
Steven A. DuChene      linux-clusters at mindspring.com
                      sduchene at mindspring.com

        http://www.mindspring.com/~sduchene/