[ale] Circular X

David Corbin dcorbin at imperitek.com
Sun Sep 22 13:24:05 EDT 2002

With your folks help, I was able to configure my laptop to run an
XServer, but login directly to a remote machine, so that all the X apps
are running on the remote machine.  Now, for some apps (after X is up
and running and I'm logged in), I need to run them on my laptop and not
on the server.  So, here's what I tried.

$ ssh ${laptop}
$ export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0 #DISPLAY wasn't set
$ xterm # yields
Xlib: connection to "localhost:0.0" refused by server
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server
xterm Xt error: Can't open display: localhost:0.0

I get the same error if I try "xhost +localhost"

Also, I've tried doing it as root.  No luck.

What's the correct solution here?