[ale] Remote X - $ xhost: unable to open display ""

Michael Kachline ext 2848 kachline at compgen.com
Sun Sep 22 00:24:26 EDT 2002

On 21 Sep 2002, Andrew Grimmke wrote:

> Thanks Michael,
>
> That worked.  I open a native X display, then I can telnet in and and
> run an xterm on the local server and start x apps from that xterm.  How
> do I run a window manager?  when I try to run a window manager from the
> command line, it tells me there can't be more than one (the remote
> computer is on and running Gnome/Sawfish).

	Ah. If you are using "startx" to get into X-windows on your
"local" box, then, modify your localbox "$HOME/.xinitrc" file. Make it
look like:

#!/bin/sh
xhost +remotebox
xterm

When you type "startx", you will get a simple xterm (with no window
decorations). Working in that xterm, telnet to remotehost, and then start
the appropriate WM environment of your choice.

If, instead of "startx", you usea GUI based login on the local box, then
simply chooose the "failsafe" login option. That will typically give you
an xterm with no local window manager.

... Sounds like what you *really* want to do is an XDMCP session:

remotehost$ /bin/su
remotehost# /sbin/init 5
Your remotehost now runs some form of "xdm". Hopefully, gdm, kdm or xdm is
configured to allow incoming xdmcp requests from "localbox", and your
network firewalling allows xdmcp packets from "localbox".

localbox$
Get out of X-windows.

localbox$ X -query remotebox

You should then find an X based login "screen" similar to what you see on
"remotehost's" console. If you don't, that's a whole new set of
challenges.

---

Anybody know how to configure localbox's /etc/X11/xdm/* s.t., upon running
"/sbin/init 5" on localbox, the X server will automagically query to
remotebox?

							- Mike
 Michael Kachline
 Systems Programmer