[ale] Remote X - $ xhost: unable to open display ""

da Black Baron dbaron13 at atl.bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 21 15:16:20 EDT 2002

A good work-around I use is to simply start a gnome panel (panel & on
the command line), which lets me run a local WM and access all the
programs on the remote box via the panel.  You can color-code it with
the panel preferences if you want to keep things from becoming
confusing... :-)

On Sat, 2002-09-21 at 14:57, Andrew Grimmke wrote:
> Thanks Michael,
>
> That worked.  I open a native X display, then I can telnet in and and
> run an xterm on the local server and start x apps from that xterm.  How
> do I run a window manager?  when I try to run a window manager from the
> command line, it tells me there can't be more than one (the remote
> computer is on and running Gnome/Sawfish).
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Andrew
>
> On Sat, 2002-09-21 at 13:13, Michael Kachline ext 2848 wrote:
> > On 21 Sep 2002, Andrew Grimmke wrote:
> >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Try to do a remote XTerm.  I can't even get off the ground however.  I
> > > don't know what I'm doing wrong.  I get the following.
> > >
> > > localhost$ xhost +remotehost
> > > xhost: unable to open display ""
> >

> > 	Another possibility is that you are trying to run "xhost" before
> > actually getting into X on your local machine.
> >

> > > This has got to be something simple and stupid I'm not doing.
> >
> > As a recap, try the following:
> >

> > localmachine$ ## Get into X windows.
> > localmachine$ xterm &
> > localmachine-xterm$ echo $DISPLAY
> > ## Do you see anything here? Typically, you will see something like
> > ##"localmachine:0.0" If you do not see a value for $DISPLAY, then
> > ## that is definately odd. Do as previous post suggested by:
> > localmachine-xterm$ export DISPLAY="localmachine:0.0"
> >
> > localmachine-xterm$ xhost +remotehost
> > "remotehost" added to access list.
> >
> > localmachine-xterm$ telnet remotehost
> > ## Log into remote host
> >
> > remotehost$ export DISPLAY="localmachine:0.0"
> > remotehost$ xterm
> >
> > You should now get an XTerm pop up on your screen.
> >

> > 					- Mike
> > --
> >  Michael Kachline
> >  Systems Programmer
> >
> >  Intec Telecom Systems
> >  Atlanta, GA  30342
> > sent to listmaster at ale dot org.
> >

> ---
> sent to listmaster at ale dot org.

"Here's my family tree.  As far as I can tell, my relatives were
carnival folk who were touring this place called Hiroshima in
the summer of 1945.  Because they lost most of their hair, they
mostly married each other.  And here I am"

                                                        (,,oBo,,)
 Wylde Bill                                               ||||

http://mrpooter.sytes.net
wyldechylde at geocities.com