[ale] Remote X - $ xhost: unable to open display ""

Michael Kachline ext 2848 kachline at compgen.com
Sat Sep 21 13:13:14 EDT 2002

On 21 Sep 2002, Andrew Grimmke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Try to do a remote XTerm.  I can't even get off the ground however.  I
> don't know what I'm doing wrong.  I get the following.
>
> localhost$ xhost +remotehost
> xhost: unable to open display ""

	Another possibility is that you are trying to run "xhost" before
actually getting into X on your local machine.

> This has got to be something simple and stupid I'm not doing.

As a recap, try the following:

localmachine$ ## Get into X windows.
localmachine$ xterm &
localmachine-xterm$ echo $DISPLAY
## Do you see anything here? Typically, you will see something like
##"localmachine:0.0" If you do not see a value for $DISPLAY, then
## that is definately odd. Do as previous post suggested by:
localmachine-xterm$ export DISPLAY="localmachine:0.0"

localmachine-xterm$ xhost +remotehost
"remotehost" added to access list.

localmachine-xterm$ telnet remotehost
## Log into remote host

remotehost$ export DISPLAY="localmachine:0.0"
remotehost$ xterm

You should now get an XTerm pop up on your screen.

					- Mike
 Michael Kachline
 Systems Programmer

 Intec Telecom Systems