[ale] sound card - cs4231

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Sep 21 10:03:21 EDT 2002

Trying to move my 'audio caller id' system to a standalone box, intent
on crushing all of these recorded voice spammers.

So, I've got some older hardware, modems and sound cards and such, but
can't get the right mix.  A couple of questions.

I've got a combo sound/ide/modem card, where I don't care about the ide,
the modem works great, but I can't get the card to be 'seen'.  It's an
isa cs4231 Crystal card.  sndconfig doesn't see it, kudzu sees the modem
and properly configures it but doesn't see the sound card.  There are
jumpers for pnp/software, and I've tried them both.  The bios is set to
'not a pnp OS.'  There's not much else for configuring the sound card.
There are jumpers to select the modem settings (irq, tty), but all I see
for the sound card is one to select the mic. type and another (I'm not
sure what this one's for, looks like sound) listed as: base address
(22xH or 24xH).

So, of the three modems I have, this is the only one that properly
displays name and number.  One other gives the number, but not the name.
  The other doesn't recognize the CID command so I guess it doesn't
support caller id at all.

If I stick another sound card with this modem/sound card, there's
apparently a conflict as neither will work.  The standalone sound card
does work without the second one in there.

I think the only working solution is the current modem/sound combo,
unless I can in some way disable that sound card to permit the 2nd card.

If you've read this far, any suggestions would be appreciated. :(

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net