[ale] [Fwd: Re: [ale] [Fwd: [Am-info] Advanced Micro Devices will includeMicrosoft's Palladium]]

Jeff Hubbs hbbs at attbi.com
Fri Sep 20 18:22:22 EDT 2002

-- BEGIN included message

To: ale at ale.oer
Subject: Re: [ale] [Fwd: [Am-info] Advanced Micro Devices will includeMicrosoft's Palladium]
From: Jeff Hubbs <hbbs at attbi.com>
To: ale at ale.org
Date: 20 Sep 2002 18:20:39 -0400

On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 18:02, Jeff Hubbs wrote:

> Can there be an Open Source CPU - completely open specification - such
> that anyone with the equipment can build it?

I already know the answer to this.  Because of MS' illegally-maintained
monopoly, no one will be ABLE to make cutting-edge CPUs BUT AMD and
Intel; it will be too expensive to do anything else.  You know, it's IBM
that keeps releasing news about developments in nanoelectronics - maybe
they'll come up with a CPU and have no thought at all toward MS
compatibilty (unless it can do x86 emulation a la Crusoe).

- Jeff

-- END included message