[ale] Strange kernel message

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Fri Sep 20 14:33:27 EDT 2002

Ah Ha! RTFM! In the kernel docs is a file called nmi_watchdog.txt. NMI
is Non Maskable Interupt. It is found on SMP machines, which I am using.

So it is used to help debug SMP kernels. But I am not running in KDB
mode so it looks like a processor just hard locked but the other cpu is
still running as there is no other message in the file.

I thought if one cpu locked, the entire kernel would crash.

Or do I just have a flaky cpu that simulated an NMI event?

 This is a digitally signed message part