[ale] mySQL

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Sep 19 20:03:28 EDT 2002

Drew! Welcome to the world of mysql permissions.

A book recommendation:
MySQL & mSQL from O'Reilly (ISBN 1-56592-434-7). It has the best written
chapter on the permission scheme in MySQL I've ever seen. In other
words, I followed what it said o do and it worked!

In a nutshell, users are keyed to both a machine name and a user name.
So that is a common first headache. If you installed mysql from rpms,
there should be html documentation in
/usr/share/doc/mysql-3.23.49/manual.html (2.3MB)

When you use the mysql command, it almost always needs a username
(--user= username) and password (--password=password). You also need to
have DNS working or a populated /etc/hosts file. Users must be added and
associated with machine names or IP addresses.