[ale] mySQL

Jim jcphil at mindspring.com
Thu Sep 19 17:07:15 EDT 2002

RPM installations of MySQL drive me crazy for all of the reasons you cite
here. You can go back to the RPM and run:

rpm -qpi -l mysql-XXXX.rpm

That will show you where it put everything. But if you want reall control over
the whole process, then build it from scratch. Then there won't be any
question as to whether you have InnoDB support or not. For my part, I like to
install everything in /usr/local/mysql. And by all means, get phpMyAdmin. It
makes everything much easier.