[ale] OT: Athlon XP temps

Jeff Layton jeffrey.b.layton at lmco.com
Mon Sep 16 10:37:54 EDT 2002

John Wells wrote:

> Jeff,
>
> Using an Antec SX835II.  It's a mid-tower with quite a bit of space.  It
> has two intake fans on front, three output on back (two case fans plus
> power supply) and a internal intake fan on the power supply.  Ambient
> temps seem to be hovering at around 34-36C.

Sounds like good cooling. You could always get some high-powered
fans to replace these though.

What's the temperature like in the room? Is there enough air-flow
to the front of the case? My case has slits on the side and IMHO that
really helps. I've seen some case mods to put a blow hole just above
the CPU. I don't know if you want to do that or not though. That might
help the airflow into the case.

What else is in the case? If you have lots of other stuff (HDs, CDs, etc.)
you can really jack up the heat load. Another option is to add a HD
cooler to each HD. They're not too expensive and might help.

I'm not sure what to say. It should be better than this. Is the case on
the floor or on a desk? On the floor, you'll get more dust, but the air
is cooler.

Jeff

--

Jeff Layton
Senior Engineer
Lockheed-Martin Aeronautical Company - Marietta
Aerodynamic & CFD
Phone: 770-494-8341
Fax:   770-494-3055