[ale] Mounting odd file system

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 13 18:18:14 EDT 2002

Sean Kilpatrick wrote:

> Problem: data to be recovered is on a Zip platter formatted HPFS
> (from my days of running OS/2)
>
> Error on mounting platter: "file system not supported by kernel."
>
> However, man mount clearly says that hpfs _is_ supported.

But HPFS support is not built into your kernel, or available
as a module. Get your kernel source if you don't have it,
run "make menuconfig", choose "Filesystems", select HPFS
support to be built as a module ("M"), and then run
"make dep & make modules modules_install". If you've
got automatic module loading support (which you probably
do if your kernel is a vanilla distro kernel), you should
now be able to mount the disk. Otherwise you might have
to "modprobe hpfs" to get the HPFS support installed.

HTH,

-- Joe
  "I'd rather chew my leg off than maintain Java code, which
   sucks, 'cause I have a lot of Java code to maintain and
   the leg surgery is starting to get expensive." - Me