[ale] question of os

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 10 19:07:23 EDT 2002

Stephen Turner wrote:

> yes gnu hurd, hmm... has anyone played with it? is the hurd kernel any
> better in any way than linux? i realize to say better is a hard thing
> considering all os's have thier strengths and weakness's but has one
> compared linux and hurd kernels? is the hurd kernel compatible with linux apps?

IIRC, the glibc source distro's README file has a comment similar
to, "Now type 'make' to build glibc. This may take several hours,
depending on your hardware and OS. If you're running the HURD, it
will take longer." So I guess speed is not among the HURD's
selling points.

For what that's worth.

-- Joe
  "I'd rather chew my leg off than maintain Java code, which
   sucks, 'cause I have a lot of Java code to maintain and
   the leg surgery is starting to get expensive." - Me