[ale] OT Re: [ale] Microsoft now favors fair competition

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Mon Sep 9 10:53:31 EDT 2002

Christopher R. Curzio wrote:

> I will say that KVM switches play havoc with mice, particularly those with
> wheels. Through the KVM switch I have, the mouse wheel would not function.
> Period. The mouse driver would die in Windows when trying to switch to the
> correct mouse, and I had to select a generic PS/2 mouse to get basic
> functionality. 3rd button and wheel absolutely did not work through the
> KVM. (It took a long time to trace the problem, too. I figured hey, it's
> just a switchable PS/2 pipe. How could that cause a problem? But lo,
> that's what it was.)

I've had a linksys kvm which I've used for about 4 years now.  It's
worked with everything.  It's connected to my viewsonic monitor, linux
cool keyboard and logitech wheeled mouse.  All works well, although all
that's connected to it now is Linux.  It has worked in the past with 95,
NT, 2000 and hpux.  I've had all kinds of variations, including ps2
connected to a serial port on the kvm.  This is the one and only time
I've had a mouse work with a ps2-serial conversion cable.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net