[ale] OT Re: [ale] Microsoft now favors fair competition

Andrew Grimmke grimmke at directvinternet.com
Mon Sep 9 09:14:33 EDT 2002

Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> Who makes the KVM switch in question?  I had problems
> with Belkin's and Linksys' that became distant
memories when I got a Cybex.

It is a Cheap Belkin Manual switch.  I would love one
of the nice digital ones with hotkeys, but money is a
factor.  As I said, however, I haven't had a problem
since I switched mice.

Christopher R. Curzio wrote:
> I've had the same problem with my Intellimouse. It's
all a matter of
> getting X configured properly. (In this case, the
common denominator is
> both X and the Intellimouse.)

> I remember the upper-right corner problem very well.
Setting the config to
> IMPS/2 with 3 buttons made the difference, and the
mouse has worked fine
> since. (I don't even have Windows installed on my
machine. When I did,
> however, it worked fine in both Windows and Linux.)

Oh, I tried IMPS/2, PS/2, Emulate3button, 3 button,
etc.  No luck.  Indeed, in newsgroups I have read both
recommendations for both IMPS/2 and PS/2, in my case
neither worked.

> Did the same problem repeat itself with GPM?

Yes.  As I recall.

> I will say that KVM switches play havoc with mice,
particularly those with wheels.
> Through the KVM switch I have, the mouse wheel would
not function.
> Period. The mouse driver would die in Windows when
trying to switch to the
> correct mouse, and I had to select a generic PS/2
mouse to get basic
> functionality. 3rd button and wheel absolutely did
not work through the
> KVM.  <snip>

I do not remember if the wheel ever worked through the
KVM.  3 button works great for me now through my KVM
switch, however.  I highly recommend "Today's Mouse" 3
button, PS/2, $2 at Austin Electronics last I checked.

> Microsoft mice are pretty much the only mice
I will use.

Funny, I don't see myself purchasing one ever again.

Andrew Grimmke
Marietta, Georgia