[ale] Closing ports 111 & 6000

Jordi S. Bunster j.bunster at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 6 12:47:01 EDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 11:46, Charles Shapiro wrote:

> Looks like 111 is portmapper, and 6000 is X11.  Without portmapper, you
> won't have the  Network File System (or any other rpc-based services),

Correct me on this one but, don't you need the portmapper only for
serving NFS?

> and without 6000 you won't have X Windows.

I'm pretty sure there's a -nolisten option to X (or was it xinit?),
which takes a parameter. If you only give it tcp as a parameter, you can
still use :0 or :1 as local displays, but not use X across the network
anymore. You close the ports, but you still have X.

> On most BSD-flavor
> distros,

This one is just personal curiosity: Are there many BSDish Linux distros
out there, besides the hybrid slackware? What distro is the OP running?

-- Jsb