[ale] Closing ports 111 & 6000

Charles Shapiro charles.shapiro at nubridges.com
Fri Sep 6 11:46:49 EDT 2002

Looks like 111 is portmapper, and 6000 is X11.  Without portmapper, you
won't have the  Network File System (or any other rpc-based services),
and without 6000 you won't have X Windows. Make sure this is really what
you want. Then stop your X session (if you're in one), and perform
whatever script majic you need to do to shut the approprate daemons down
and make sure they won't come up when you reboot. On most BSD-flavor
distros, that stuff is in /etc/init.d somewheres. You can track it by
looking in the /etc/inittab file.

The fusers(1) and ps(1) programs are your friends. fusers(1) will tell
you what processes are on those ports, and ps(1) will give you all kinds
of information on them. See their man pages for a full rundown.

-- CHS