[ale] CDRW on Linux

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Sep 5 09:32:10 EDT 2002

fdisk is a tool for hard drives. As you have discovered, it won't work
for CDRW!

cdrecord and cdtools are what you are looking for.

There is a kernel level filesystem that supports UDF formatted CD's. It
is considered "EXPERIMENTAL" to use the write ability with it. I have
been unable to get the read to work.

The best bet is to use cdrecord/mkisofs and some scripting. Be
forwarned, blanking a CDRW can take a long time! Fast blanks are not
always reliable.

If you want a GUI interface to the process, xcdroast and gcombust are 2
I have used. Gcombust requires gnome libs.