[ale] Monitoring the serial port

marct at mindspring.com marct at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 4 18:23:36 EDT 2002

On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, John C wrote:
> Does anyone know of a way to capture serial port output of a device onto
> Linux system and log everyting it sees to a file?

I was looking for serial sniffers the other day, but found some things
that might be what your looking for:

-------------------------------------
Phone Box Log Analyzer
http://freshmeat.net/projects/pblogan/?topic_id=247
 by solx - Tuesday, January 22nd 2002 18:25 EDT

About:
Phone Box Log Analyzer allows you to capture and view the logs from a PBX.
By connecting to the serial port of the PBX (usually used for printing to
a serial printer) the logs may be captured and fed to a PostgreSQL
database. A PHP Web interface to this database is provided.
-------------------------------------
ttywatch
http://freshmeat.net/projects/ttywatch/
 by Michael K. Johnson - Wednesday, November 1st 2000 12:10 EDT

About:
ttywatch was originally designed to log serial console output from lots of
Linux machines on a single monitor machine. It handles log rotation
correctly, can be configured in both a configuration file and on the
command line (mix-and-match command-line and config file), and supports
arbitrary data logging methods via dynamically loaded modules. Optionally,
it can provide bidirectional network access to the ports being logged.

Hope this helps.
--marct