[ale] New Laptop and What Version of what?

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 2 17:55:51 EDT 2002

Hi Ritchi,

Check on <URL: http://www.linux-laptop.net/>. The "models" link
will take you to a list of all laptops known to work with Linux,
and usually some instructions on how to work around installation
problems. Unfortunately, the latest 8000-model they have listed
is the 8100, which apparently can run Linux, but it's a pain
to install.

Remember that Linux generally makes more efficient use of
your hardware than Winblows; a slightly older and known-to-work
model is usually a good choice. (Not that that does you any
good at this point, but keep it in mind next time you plan
to spent a couple of $1000 on a laptop :-) For reference, I
have a 400Mhz Acer PIII laptop running NT4 with 256MB of RAM
that cost my employer $3500 two years ago, and I have Slackware
Linux running on a 233Mhz Compaq w/64MB that I got off of eBay
for $400. I use both of these machines for various kinds
of software development, and the Compaq seems just as
snappy as the Acer, if not more so. Part of the reason
is that the tools I use under Linux are much less bloated
than those M$ excretes for Windows, and part of it is the
fact that Linux is just a technically superior OS.

-- Joe

--
  "I'd rather chew my leg off than maintain Java code, which
   sucks, 'cause I have a lot of Java code to maintain and