[ale] Cannot install Linux on new PC

Greg runman at telocity.com
Sun Sep 1 18:45:58 EDT 2002

Note: This is totally different from my other problem posting. I have been
*very* busy lately !

	I have been having problems installing Linux on a new PC. It uses an Athlon
700MHz Slot A processor on a MSI MS6167 mobo with a half a GB of RAM.  I
have used both a 4GB Maxtor and a 30GB Western Digital hard drives, both 40
and 80 pin cables, 3 different CD-ROM players, and tried both SuSE 8.0 and
RH 7.3.  I fdisk'd the MBR's on both disks.  I fdisked the whole disks.  If
I thought it would help I would fdisk my cat when he rubs the PC.  I even
returned the RH CDs and got new ones.  All Linux installs start ok and
during the install several components/packages (they are random) do not
install and soon the install gets a kernel panic and dies.  I have tried
every combination of disk, cable, distro, and method (w/ and w/o X), noprobe
and probe and using PNP and w/o PNP.  I have the HD as a master on the
primary IDE and the CD as master on the secondary IDE.

	The only thing I have not changed is the mobo.  It is a MSI MS6167 and a
week ago I did put in a 4GB HD with SuSE 8.0 on it and it worked - even with
the SAMBA !  I did also a test install of *gasp* Windows 95, Windows 98 and
NT 4.0 and all 3 worked, so it is something about Linux installs that the
dammed PC does not like.

	If this cannot be fixed I guess the only option is to replace the mobo,
which I don't want to do.  As Sherlock said, (paraphrased) "When all other
solutions are proven incorrect, whatever is left, however unlikely, is the
correct solution".  I assume hitting it with a sledgehammer (a la "process
this " of Dogbert fame) is not a valid solution.

	Any suggestions/ideas ???  Any one want a mobo for $36.00 ???  Works good
with MS .....

	Greg C.