[ale] Ipchain/IpTable

James P. Kinney III jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Sun Sep 1 16:31:56 EDT 2002

There are some big syntax differences between the two version. Also,
there was an ALE meeting (that I missed :(  ) where Bob Toxen discussed
the differences and, ultimately, why ipchains is, in several repsects, a
better solution that iptables. I believe there was a posting of the talk
slides on the ALE list.

I have used iptables since it was early. There was a specific feature
that I needed (a WORKING packet marking process) that ipchains just
couldn't do at that time.

But for a basic "deny all but let in a few ports we like" firewall, both
systems will be just fine. It's not until you want to tinker with the
esoterica of packet mangling and logging and user-space packet access,
then you will need a more in-depth look at the differences. On that
note, I would point out that Rusty Russel, author of both ipchains and
iptables, has announced that iptables is the "official" process now.
Ipchains is in maintenance mode, so no new features.