[ale] A use for Windows . . .

Andrew Grimmke grimmke at directvinternet.com
Thu Oct 31 14:41:53 EST 2002

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002, "ChangingLINKS.com" wrote:

> It seems like we have an unusually high amount of
> Microsoft bashing on the list lately.
> A friend told me to always "be for something" as
> opposed to "against something
> else." The thing that I am for is speed.  My 2DO list
> is 99 items long - so I
> am impatient, and want things done yesterday - even if
> it means using undesirable tatics.

I agree that the preoccupation with MS on this list
sometimes gets crazy.  Why do we have to preface every
mention of MS or their operating systems with vows of
our undying dislike for Bill and all he stands for?  I
know how I feel.  I am pretty sure I know how the rest
of you feel.  If somebody is new to the list or hasn't
been keeping up, they will figure it out, but we don't
need to constantly hit each other over the head with
our opinions of MS.

That said, I am not sure where you are going with the
digital camera thing.  I am sorry you couldn't get
yours to work.  It's a good thing you are married to
Janie Porsche, she can probably save christmas for you
too.

I have a very cheap digital camera, a MagicImage 500,
it's tempermental, but occasionally takes a good
picture.  When I wanted to use it on my linux box I
went to CompUSA, picked out the cheapest Smartmedia
card reader I could find (dazzle, I believe).  I hot
plugged it in, mounted it, and it worked flawlessly
with RH7.3 (kernel 2.4.18) right out of the box.

I use linux, because linux makes computing fun.  If I
wanted things to be user friendly I would have stayed
with Windows.  Hacking new apps and hardware is not
always the fastest, sometimes it's frustrating, but I
know I will probably learn something.

Cheers,
Andrew

Andrew Grimmke