[ale] [Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net: Reiser vs EXT3]

Charles Shapiro charles.shapiro at nubridges.com
Thu Oct 31 13:24:32 EST 2002

I just got back from Linux Lunacy 2, where one of the highlights was
Theodore Ts'o talking about filesystems. He led the team which wrote
both ext2 and ext3. My notes on the class are at
http://tomshiro.org/pubtwiki/ALE/LinuxLunacyTwo/day3.txt. Theodore of
course is not terribly enchanted with reiserfs. ext3 is exactly ext2
with journaling added -- basically this means that file metadata is
written twice, once to a journal and again to the actual disk. Since you
never seek on the journal, this is pretty reasonably fast -- it's always
a block write, which is pretty cheap. When the machine boots after a bad
shutdown, it copies the most recent metadata back from the journal to
the disk to ensure that everything is self-consistent.

We've been using ext3 here at the office for some time, and we've
noticed no speed degradation compared to ext2.

I can't speak to reiserfs since we don't use it here. But even mr.
Reiser admits that Weird Things can happen to reiserfs if your machines
crash -- e.g. the crash can mung files which were closed hours before.
Scary stuff, to me. My notes have more detail on this. Also, performance
of all of these file systems varies dramatically with workload and
hardware. As I understand it, reiserfs is a lot better with lots of
small files, but as average file size rises its performance comes
closer to ext2. Again, check my notes for details -- it's discussed at
about slide 15.

-- CHS