[ale] A use for Windows . . .

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Thu Oct 31 11:53:15 EST 2002

No offense, but I'm not sure what you're aiming to accomplish by posting
your bitches about Linux.  This is the second rather long list of
complaints I can remember you posting in the past few months...is there a
productive goal here, or are you just venting?

Please remember that the reason Microsoft has such good support for such a
wide range of equipment is because, rook or crook, they've often muscled
hardware manufacturers into making things work for Windows.  Also, a
manufacturer would be crazy from a practical perspective to not include
drivers that worked well with Windows....it'd kill their product because
Windows is simply everywhere.

Linux, on the otherhand, is not a high priority on the part of most
manufacturers.  As such, support for devices is often added by the
community through lots of brow sweat and teamwork.  Device support has
progressed by leaps and bounds since I started using Linux and it will
only continue.

But, of course, there are devices which remain unsupported.  There always
will be.

Does it piss me off when something doesn't work for me under Linux?
Um...no.  I realize that people out there are working very hard to provide
this awesome product to me FOR FREE....  I choose to use Linux because I
like it very much, because I have NO BORDERS and am free to move about as
I please, and because I believe in what the Open Source community is
trying to do.

And, I might add, I am at a point where I can accomplish everything under
linux in a more efficient manner than under windows.

Still, it's not for everyone.  There's nothing wrong with people who use
Windows...it's what they're most comfortable with and has some benefits
for a typical user.  Let them have it.  While Linux has come a long way,
there's still a bit of a learning curve to get some things to work.

When I hit one of these "curves", I do everything I can to either a.,
learn what is needed, or b., find a work around.  This approach has not
failed me yet.  I even post on the Ale list quite a bit and some of my
posts have gone unanswered.  Does this incite anger in my soul?  Um...no.
I know these folks are a helpful sort, and if they knew how to help me
they could.

So.....not to be mean, but if you're just going to bitch...maybe you
should ask yourself why you're using Linux in the first place.

John