[ale] Too many open files in system

John Wells jb at sourceillustrated.com
Wed Oct 30 13:58:13 EST 2002

I'm mounting a drive to Red Hat 8.0 with samba from a Network Appliance
drive that exports using CIFS.  I mount with the command:

mount //APPLIANCE/~wellsj -o username=jbw,uid=jbw

This ~wellsj directory is a directory maintained on the Network Appliance.

Everything seems fine, but if I touch a file I get the following:

-) touch test
touch: setting times of `test': Too many open files in system

I've done some research on this error message but haven't found anything
conclusive except that in the past it would occur when accessing windows
95 drives, but that it should be fixed in later versions of Samba.

Can anyone shed some light on this message?

Thanks!
John