[ale] GeForce Video Issues

Christopher R. Curzio ale at accipiter.org
Sun Oct 27 07:10:52 EST 2002

Hey all.

I've been using my GeForce 2 MX for awhile now, and I've been pretty happy
with its performance. However, there's one (very annoying) issue that has
been bugging me for quite some time.

I've not noticed this in any application other than Mozilla, however I'm
not entirely convinced it's a Mozilla issue. When I highlight text on
pages like Slashdot, random text seems to want to shift around 1px either
to the left or right. Dropping down selection boxes cause the text
underneath it to distort in the same manner, and the only way to
temporarily fix the visual problems is to redraw the Mozilla window. (Flip
to another desktop and back.) However, highlight some more text and the
problem immediately starts over.

The reason I say I don't think this is necessarily a Mozilla issue is
because this wasn't happening until I installed my GeForce 2 using the
NVidia drivers. (I'd previously been using a 3dfx Voodoo3.) It also seems
to be an issue only with truetype fonts.

I've also noticed a subtle and irritating horizontal flicker every so
often on graphics-intensive stuff. Shift-reloading a picture-heavy website
in Mozilla, or waiting for Return to Castle Wolfenstein to load seem to
induce this sort of behavior.

Has anyone else had similar problems, and/or know how to fix them? Thanks.

--
Christopher R. Curzio     |  Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax
http://www.accipiter.org  |  si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?