[ale] k7s5a mb drama continues

Geoffrey esoteric at 3times25.net
Sat Oct 26 10:52:17 EDT 2002

The shop I got this mb from is working with me on this.  He swapped out
the processor and loaned me another mb.  Didn't have another 1700, so he
gave me an 1800 no charge.  Same board, earlier revision.  Anyway, I
rebuilt the system with the alternative mb and I'm getting the same
issues.  Still sees the 128mb stick of memory as 256, regardless of what
slot I put it in or whether it's by itself or with another stick.  I let
the new motherboard warm up and it's running the same temperatures.

I did note that I had 4x agp turned on in the bios, but configured X as
2, so I've changed that to see if that makes any difference.

I'm back to the original mb since it's a newer revision.  I ran tuxracer
last night and part way through the second round it locked up on me again.

I am currently building a new kernel since I was using a stock kernel
from mdk and figure that maybe a kernel configured for this processor
might do better.

cpu temp reached 54C but no problems with my current kernel compile.  I
really don't think I've got heat issues.  I've dropped email to ecs to
inquire as to what the max/mins are on this thing.  I do now know that
the heat sensor for the cpu sits under the chip, right in the middle of
the socket.  If the processor max temp is 80-90C, I can't see that
there'd be a 30-40C difference between the processor and the sensor, but
feel free to slap me back to reality.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at 3times25.net