[ale] unable to eject cdrom

Bob Toxen bob at verysecurelinux.com
Fri Oct 25 18:19:23 EDT 2002

> Suddenly, under Red Hat 8.0 my cd drive will not eject.  I unmount in and
> hit the button, nothing.  fuser -m says nothing seems to be using it.  A
> "eject -r -v" returns the following:

Probably attached either by an auto-mounter or a CD playing program.  I
have the same problem with my RH7.3 system -- I forget which one grabs it.

Certainly verify that the "auto" flag is not in your /etc/fstab file for
it.

Try a umount of the device and a "ps -axlww|grep -i cd" too.

> -)eject -r -v
> eject: using default device `cdrom'
> eject: device name is `cdrom'
> eject: expanded name is `/dev/cdrom'
> eject: `/dev/cdrom' is a link to `/dev/hdc'
> eject: `/dev/hdc' is not mounted
> eject: `/dev/hdc' is not a mount point
> eject: `/dev/hdc' is a multipartition device
> eject: trying to eject `/dev/hdc' using CD-ROM eject command
> eject: CD-ROM eject command failed
> eject: unable to eject, last error: Device or resource busy

> Only way to eject is to reboot.  Anyone know what might be going on?
RH is starting to feel the influence of the Dark Lord in the land of
Redmond. ;^)

> Thanks,

> John

Bob Toxen
transam at verysecurelinux.com            [Bob's ALE Bulk email]
bob at verysecurelinux.com                [Please use for email to me]

The Second Edition of "Real World Linux Security" has been published!

     http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com