[ale] easy iso upgrades

Dana Powers dana at slothlovechunk.org
Fri Oct 25 12:03:42 EDT 2002

You cant add files to the actual cdrom, but what you _can_ do ( what
gentoo livecd almost does ) is mount the system in a ramdisk and
symlink to the important files on the mounted cd. You could then
apt-get, wget, emerge, or what-have-you , whatever you want, assuming
your networking was configured properly, and install it into the
ramdisk as if it were any other type of rw filesystem.

I have also been thinking alot lately about os on disk systems. Very
cool things are possible if you could fuse the device support that
windows seems to have with the stability and no-need-for-reboot power
of the linux kernel with the network-is-the-computer approach of
distros like debian or gentoo.

The gentoo LiveCD w/ Unreal Tourney 2003 is mindboggling.

dpk