[ale] eth1 silent - up in ifconfig, down on switch.

Andrew Grimmke grimmke at directvinternet.com
Fri Oct 25 10:28:42 EDT 2002

Hi ALE,

Last night, my second ethernet adapter stopped working.
 This appeared to happen after a total lock-up and
reboot (due to mozilla [old version, need to upgrade])
as best I can narrow the time frame.

This was the on-board adapter on my motherboard (SIS
900 chipset) and was connected to the internal network.
 ifconfig says the adapter is up; my 5 port  switch
says it isn't.  I have tried using different ports on
the switch, switching out the cables, and restarting
network services.  no luck.

I am thinking that this is just a simple hardware
failure.  Concur?  Not sure if it is, in fact, related
to the ugly reboot, and if so, why.

I will probably stop by Microcenter and see if they
still have $8 ethernet cards on my way home from work.

Anyone experienced a similar problem?  Any other
suggestions of things to try before wasting a PCI slot?

Andrew Grimmke
Marietta, Georgia